Town Council's Role
The Town Council is a single corporate body and the decisions it takes are the responsibility of the Town Council as a whole. It represents and serves the whole community. It is responsible for the services it provides and for achieving the best value for the spending of public money.
Wincanton Town Council offers a range of services and works in partnership with other councils and organisations in the town.
Wincanton Town Council is always keen to ensure that its priorities and initiatives reflect the wishes of the electorate - all meetings are open to the public and councillors may be contacted if you have any ideas for Wincanton or an issue which we can help with, or you can call in at The Town Hall with your suggestions.
Wincanton Town Council Responsibilities:
- Managing the Town Hall - home to Wincanton Town Council and a 'one-stop' community centre - offering help and information on a range of local services. Ever wondered who is responsible for what, and not known who to contact with a problem or issue? We will try our best to help you or point you in the right direction and if we don't know the answer we will put you in touch with someone who does! April 2003 saw the set up of a Local Tourist Information Centre which has generated a large number of enquiries relating to tourism in the area. Pop in and have a look at the large range of leaflets.
- Owns, manages and administrates burials at the burial ground situated at top of Rickhayes Recreation Ground. Cemetery Fees and Cemetery Regulations
- Administration and letting of the David Sharpe Centre, formerly the old Red Cross building, at the top of the Rickhayes Recreation Ground. The Council purchased the building on 1st August 2009.
- Administration of the allotment gardens situated at Moor Lane (plots of varying sizes).
- Owns and manages three recreation grounds (Rickhayes Recreation Ground, Penn View Recreation Ground, Coneygore) and a skatepark. At Rickhayes Recreation Ground you will find a childrens' play area including a toddler area. There is also a cricket pitch. The Scouts have their own building at the top end of the recreation ground. The skatepark and multi use games area is located left of the play area (access either from Southgate Road or through the play area at Rickhayes). Penn View Recreation Ground is located at Penn View (Bayford Hill) and has a fenced off childrens play area including a toddler area. Coneygore is situated at the back of Carrington Way and is a wildlife area. If you wish to hold an event at Cale Park Recreation Ground, Penn View Recreation Ground or Carrington Way Picnic Area please contact Wincanton Town Council or complete
- Owns and manages the Public Conveniences at Churchfields.
- Making comments on all planning applications in the parish - South Somerset District Council then makes the final decision, where they should take into account the views from Wincanton Town Council. Copies of planning applications relating to Wincanton area are available for inspection at the Town Hall.
- Pursues action from both the District and County Council on a range of issues of concern such as litter, yellow lines, speeding traffic, highway improvements and maintenance, hedges and trees, footpaths and rights of way.